Thursday, January 4, 2018

"A House of Doors"............Lithographs from the 80's

"Leda and the Swan" (1985)
Another artifact from the recent excavation of my life as an artist (where have I been?  How did I get here?) ........this portfolio of  Lithographs I did in the mid 1980's. I remember how much I loved being in the litho room, grinding the big stones.  The images were mostly drawn a collection of old photographs of my family I found, my mother as a child, my grandmother I never knew..........they haunted me, these people and that brief moment caught in black and white and then gone, lost, relics, artifacts, stories, mysteries.   The entire collection was called "A HOUSE OF DOORS"  and I wrote a poem that went with them, that eventually became a performance piece.  I worked so hard on them............and only showed them once.  

"A House of Doors" (1985)



"Day of Radience" (1985)


"Some rooms diminish, some rooms compress
Rooms can be tricky.
What I chiefly remember are doors

I live in a house of doors."


"Icarus Had a Sister" (1985)




"Persistence of Memory" (1985)


"Dream II" (1985)



"Dream" (1985)


"Winter's Dream" (1985)


"Ancestral Visitation" (1986)


"When Rain Sang" (1985)


I Remember white dresses I wore.
I can't remember the girl's name.

"Funny", she said, "How time
 takes the names out of things,
and bleaches the rest kind of transparent."

Funny. Chiefly,
I remember doors."


"Streetcar" (1986)


1 comment:

Trish and Rob MacGregor said...

Lauren, these lithographs are stunning!!